Wednesday 12 November 2008

Ice Road Truckers Wife?

Mick received his emigration papers today, so every thing's on track for our move to the 'Great White North'.
He was on the phone yesterday to another driver, ' Wolf', who will be on the same flight as us, who gave him some good tips and advice because he has driven over there before and knows what to expect.

My biggest problem is what things to take and what to leave, you know what women are like, and even though there is a fair bit of storage room in the truck, we may be traveling from temperatures of -30C in Canada to parts of the USA which are still hot at this time of year, and back again within a few days.

Winter survival clothing is essential at this time of year in the northern United States and Canada, and they take up a lot of room when they are not being worn, so I have had to leave my Louis Vuitton suitcase full of expensive beach wear, shoes and designer ball gowns at home , LOL. My Tiara will have to stay home too, as the first thing I am going to buy on arrival is one of these ... and I'm not kidding.


You may well laugh (I'm sure you will when you see the pictures), but it will stop my head freezing in the chill factor of those Northern Arctic winds.

After receiving advice from people on the British Truckers Abroad forum and other trucking bloggers, we have decided to use calling cards to phone home from across the pond, although I will be taking my own phone and using a SIM card which I will activate when we hit the USA.

Hubby got the SIM off E-bay from cellplan4u123 and it was £11.49 with $10 credit already on it.

The seller provides full instructions for activation, so we will post here about it's use, once we get using it (or not, Lol). The stories about mobile phone charges are quite astonishing, and I will miss my O2 text and talk freebies.

5 comments:

Tony T said...

Hi Cath & Mick, if its anything to go by when my brother landed in Toronto, you'll be off shopping for the Cold Gear Clothing.....Good Luck

Javi said...

Laughing!!??...I have exactly one hat like this but black!!,hahaha...for real!!.

See you soon, guys!!.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Hi Javi
We are looking forward to it.
When do hit the road with H and R?
Hope to meet up soon.
Adios Amigo

highway to hell said...

hi cath,it's kerry,jims partner.you'll definately need your winter woolies for when you come over! we came to lethbridge in january and it was -25 when we got of the plane,it literally takes your breath away. i do find walmart quite handy for hats,scarves ect.they also do nice wollie jumpers et and there pretty reasonable price. i know how hard it was for me decided what to pack in my case i had to lave a lot at jis mums! i always have the odd summer t shirt/shorts this time of year though,depending on where we go south.if you need any more questions answered or help with anything let me know! take care.kerry x

Mick Flynn Images said...

Thanks Kerry
I keep putting things in the case then taking them out. I don't want to bring too much.
We will be buying coats straight away because I know ours will not be any good.
Hope you and jim are ok, looking forward to meeting you both.
If we dont see you I hear you are going home for xmas. Have a good one x